Akin to the gorgeous châteaux of the Loire Valley in the countryside of central France, this exceptional homestead was designed by the owner, and custom built with privacy, security and easy living in mind. With meticulous attention to detail, and expertly constructed on the outskirts of the village, it is truly unique, and tremendous value for money!
Double story and on an elevated stand, it has lovely views of the river mouth where it meets the warm waters of the Indian Ocean, and expansive vistas of the surrounding hills and farmlands. It offers superb living spaces, entertainment areas, money saving features, and a plethora of extras (described below)!
All in all, unquestionable value, class, style and comfort!
As for Still Bay, it’s a charming, pollution free and peaceful hamlet on the world-renowned Garden Route. Situated where the Goukou River meets the Indian Ocean, it offers Blue Flag and long sandy beaches, Nature Reserves, every conceivable water sport, Whale watching in season, invigorating hiking trails along the coastline, a 9 hole golf course in magnificent surrounds with a sea view from every tee, the 15km long navigable river, the Blombos Museum of Archaeology, the trailblazing Inverroche Distillery on its doorstep, delightful historic towns and attractions nearby for day visits – and more! All essential services, creature comforts and amenities available in the village.
In short, Still Bay is both a superb holiday destination and a wonderful ‘stay forever spot’ with a year-round temperate climate! The property on offer, a matching gem …
- Homestead: 345m² floor space
- Top floor studio / living space: 113m² (included in above)
- Erf: 732m²
- Courtyard: 10m x 14m
- Pool: 4m x 8m (depth 1.4m)
- Garages: 2 x garages 6.5 x 3.3m inner diameter with dividing wall (not structural so can be removed – one doubles up as a workshop).
- Rates: R1 199.38 per month.
- SOME SPECIAL FEATURES in addition to those listed room by room below: The entire house was designed to ensure privacy and security, and the over-burnt brick exterior simply lovely! Low-e reflective glass used on top floor together with excellent insulation above the exposed trusses with high ceilings. External window- and door frames top quality aluminium and cement tiled roof to prevent coastal corrosion. Beautiful Meranti front door and staircase, with SA Pine floor in the kitchen, and Balau wooden floor upstairs. Solar geyser for guest bathroom and Bosch gas geyser for en-suite and kitchen, with twin gas supply stored separately. 35 000 litre rainwater storage tanks fed directly to house with pressure pump – drinking water filtered, and system can be switched to municipal water if/when needed. All rooms with individual access to the courtyard which is completely private. The best ever ginormous fireplace downstairs, and a charming little "Conductor's Van" cast-iron wood-burning stove in the entertainment area upstairs. Two lovely lancet windows at the stairwell, various salvaged pieces and gorgeous light fittings throughout.
- ENTRANCE HALL: From the unusual custom-made Meranti front door, accessed over a railway sleeper bridge, one enters into a large entrance hall, separated by a door from the living area, thus lending itself to multiple uses.
- LIVING AREA: The North facing living area – consisting of snug with fireplace and large dining area - with stacking doors leading to the courtyard is ideal for indoor/outdoor entertainment on those long, balmy summer evenings so characteristic of Still Bay.
- KITCHEN: Fitted with bespoke super-wood enamelled cupboards with drip trays and roll-out shelves at the bottom, and an imported Lancanche Beaune cooker, offering flexible cooking options with gas top and electric oven. Enough room for a breakfast table for that authentic country feel! With an oft used Pizza Oven alongside the kitchen, feeding the family and guests is not a function held hostage by Eskom for these lucky owners!
- PANTRY AND LAUNDRY: Also off the kitchen a beautifully fitted Pantry, as well as a separate laundry and equipment area.
- MAIN BEDROOM en suite with built-in cupboards doubles up as a ‘safe room’ (internal door reinforced with safety latches and plantation shutters on the sliding door leading to the courtyard).
- GUEST WING with separate entrance and not open to main house consists of communal bathroom and two guest bedrooms, both opening up to the courtyard (as does the bathroom).
- EXPANSIVE STUDIO / LIVING AREA UPSTAIRS: L-shaped with views all round, is currently used as his-and-hers art studios and large living/entertainment area. With two doors leading onto charming ‘Juliet-style’ balconies, this versatile atelier can be repurposed as a home theatre, games/hobby room, gym, offices, library, more bedrooms, etc – easy to alter to individual needs.
- COURTYARD AND GARDEN: Private courtyard with sparkling pool, and the irrigated garden (linked to municipal water) with a variety of fruit trees also sports a barbeque, smoker and outside shower! In the ‘alleyway’, a large wood storing area with dedicated gate for deliveries.
- GARAGES WITH DIRECT ACCESS TO HOUSE AND COURTYARD: One of which is used as a workshop, fitted with a workbench, very sturdy shelves and cupboards for tools, and a square enamel basin for washing up. Irrigation system controlled from the garage.
- This incredible property presents that - maybe ‘tired’ - but bona fide ‘opportunity not to be missed’ - in every sense of the word. Call me …