Secluded, immaculate split-level home – totally off the grid - high up in the mountains on 93 hectares of Fynbos, Protea, Waboom and Rockwood Trees.
For the wilderness explorer, hiking and climbing enthusiast, no better base from which to do so (approximately 100km, i.e. hundreds of thousands of hectares of wilderness land adjoins the farm).
With breathtaking views in every direction, spectacular rock formations, a perennial stream with crystal clear water fed by a nearby waterfall, indigenous wildlife, and a wide variety of bird species, this property is truly special!
Also an ideal home for an artist, writer, or nature lover who would simply like to live and work ‘away from it all’.
While situated in its ‘own little world’, it offers every home comfort, and amenities such as shops, medical care, schools, etc are a mere 11km from this enchanting mountain haven – see detail below.
- Home size: 190m² (plans for a fourth bedroom and additional bathroom available if needed).
- Land Size: 92.9673ha
- HOMESTEAD: Comprising large open plan lounge (with wood-burning stove), dining area and fully fitted kitchen, three double bedrooms, study/reading room with loads of bookshelves, two bathrooms, ‘live-on’ veranda with built-in braai, and storeroom/workshop.
- Flow-through splash pool with Gazebo, and a ‘sun-downer bench’ amongst the rocks nearby.
- Electricity: Impressive Hydro-electric plant and solar panels.
- Water: Reliable supply of clean mountain water, with two storage tanks (7 500 litres).
- Sewerage: Septic tank.
- Communication: Cell reception and 3G signal (Wi-Fi available).
- SECURITY: First-rate security system linked to Security Company - alarm, five webcams, and ultrasonic device to deter baboons when the house is unoccupied.
- ACCESS: The superbly engineered – very steep – driveway of 1.6km (to the homestead) requires, preferably, a low range 4x4 (routine driving), although a 4x2 with diff lock could be used if necessary and skilfully driven.
- ALSO INCLUDED IN THE SALE: DSTV dish, the majority of the furniture (if required), and an old Land-Rover Discovery in running order.
- THE FARM OFFERS: Absolute peace and tranquillity, breathtaking views, hiking, rock scrambling, a perennial stream, spectacular rock formations sculpted by wind and water over millions of years, magnificent Fynbos, Protea, Waboom, the fascinating Rockwood Trees, a variety of small indigenous wildlife including a delightful pair of Klipspringers that visit regularly, the majestic Black Eagle, and numerous other bird species.
- LOCATION: The north facing homestead is on a spacious plateau surrounded on three sides by magnificent mountain ranges. The land rises steeply from the R43 on the west, then drops to the Wolwekloof Stream (tributary of the Breede River) and rises again to hills towards the east. The view towards the west is over the Wolseley valley with its vineyards and orchards, and overlooks the Breede River. The view to the south and east is of layers of mountains including the majestic 2000m Mostertshoek Peak, and the waterfall that feeds the Wolwekloof Stream (which runs through the farm). To the north is a range of wooded sandstone hills starting about 200m from the house, against a backdrop of more ... Glorious Mountains!
- Cape Town 131km.
- Wolseley 7km (filling station, post office, Agri Co-op, general dealer, etc).
- Ceres 11km (supermarkets, private hospital, doctors, veterinary hospital, excellent schools, “the best zipline in Africa”, cherry picking, fun in the winter snow, etc).
- Tulbagh 20km (beautiful historical buildings, restaurants, theatre, galleries, wine estates, festivals, hiking and mountain biking trails, photographic tours, etc).
- Not to forget, the farm is 5km from the famous Waverley Hills Organic Wine Estate, and 1km from the farm gate on the R43 is the Winterberg Mountain Inn with its welcoming pub and restaurant, in a building that once housed an 18th century water-mill (where relics can still be seen).
- And for those ‘Mother Hubbard’s Empty Cupboard moments’ when you avoided the shops for too long, The Hub, a quaint little farm stall selling local produce, arts and crafts, is at the end of the driveway - beside the farm gate!
- Don’t miss out on the opportunity to make this gorgeous mountain farm your home.