Distinctive on every level ...
Class, space, light, wide archways, artwork ‘cast in stone’, views from every room, superb engineering, craftsmanship, Austrian precision and ... Position, position, position! On the seafront – North facing with infinite views across the cobalt waters of the Atlantic Ocean and surrounding mountains.
Nothing lacking in this exceptional home which offers many extra rooms, spaces and features, and has an ambience of comfort and easy living prevailing throughout.
And, from June to December every year, the Whales breed and play – virtually on the doorstep of this unique and immaculate homestead.
The truth is in the detail – see Property Detail and Special Features below.
As for De Kelders, the author that captured the history of the area with the words “as rich and colourful as the exquisite beauty and bounty of the environment that birthed it”, quite conceivably stood on the terrace of this remarkable residence flanking the rugged coastline of De Kelders.
The discovery of relics of early man dating back some 70 000 years ago - the Middle Stone Age - plus artefacts of early herders who lived there 2 000 years ago, along with rock-art, the only fresh water fountain and caves on the African coastline, and the wreck of HMS Birkenhead (and several others) at Danger Point, explain why the area is one of the most important historical places in the Western Cape. Klipgat Cave, where the relics were found, is recorded as a place of World Heritage significance.
It’s easy to see why early inhabitants in the area coined the name “Klein Paradijs” - translated, ‘little paradise’. De Kelders is crime-free, peaceful – no traffic - has quiet secluded coves with rocky limestone outcrops to swim in, offers the best land-based Whale watching in the world, borders vast pristine nature reserves such as Grootbos where 9 250 species of flowering plants have been identified, and where Early Stone Age implements were found – estimated to be 250 000 years old.
The entire area is a bird watcher’s paradise, and the village is within striking distance of excellent restaurants, medical care, cultural activities, including a visit to the Strandveld Museum, visits to rock-art sites, cultural walking tours – also of the historic caves along the seafront, outdoor activities such as invigorating hiking trails, mountain biking, horse-riding, 4 x 4 trails etc.
All of the above makes De Kelders the most captivating hamlet in Africa – arguably, on the planet!
- Entrance hall, lounge with fireplace, TV room, dining room and guest cloak.
- Two offices with built-in wall units, walk-in safe and private balconies which can easily be converted to two additional bedrooms, and the storeroom to a bathroom - if required (plumbed already).
- Three spacious bedrooms - all en-suite – main bedroom with walk-in closet and private balcony and guest bedrooms with private terrace.
- Fully fitted and equipped kitchen with marble tops, pantry and separate scullery.
- Three storerooms - one on every level.
- Wine cellar.
- Entertainment sized terrace with built-in tables and benches, plunge pool and Pizza oven.
- Extra large double garage with direct access and under-cover carport (almost an additional garage, also with direct access).
- Easy to maintain terraced rock garden with indigenous plants.
- SPECIAL FEATURES:
- The pièce de résistance - every room offers uninterrupted views with all but floor-to-ceiling glass doors/windows and all leading to private balconies/terraces.
- North-facing means those spectacular sunsets across the ocean – and the Whales - can be savoured throughout the year. Even when the infamous South Easter is unleashed, sundowners and entertainment on the terrace can continue unperturbed.
- A priceless acquisition for a new owner, three artworks painted on interior walls by world renowned artist, Jesus Fuertes, shortly before his death (1938 – 2006). Notably “Io Sonno Bacchus” in the wine cellar. The Spanish born Jesus Fuertes was introduced to art by Salvador Dali and described as a “true genius” by Picasso. Collectors of his work include their Majesties Juan Carlos I and Sofia of Greece and Denmark (king and queen of Spain), Princess Christina of the Netherlands, Prince Albert II of Belgium, Baron Benjamin de Rothschild, the Spanish Ambassador Miguel de Aldasoro, Jacqueline Onassis, Paloma Picasso, Yves Saint Laurent, Paco Rabanne, Francis Ford Coppola, Roman Polanski, and the list of celebrity collectors and eminent institutions goes on...
- The owner, himself an artist (pupil of Jesus Fuertes), created a wood framed ‘mural’ from local seaweed and shells, which will stay behind in its perfect spot along the stairway. Various smaller ‘wall hangings’ made from the discarded bounty of the sea and latte will also stay.
- The two guest bedrooms (on private level) are run as a part-time B & B, accommodating mainly overseas tourists, which has recently been voted as number 20 of the top 25 B & B’s in South Africa in the Travellers’ Choice awards on TripAdvisor. This accolade achieved while run part-time to fit in with the owners’ lifestyle. Anybody wishing to convert it to a profitable business/dedicated guesthouse will therefore have great credentials to build on. Tourist accommodation in De Kelders is at a premium, and endless glowing references available on request.
- Many ‘pieces of furniture’ are creatively built-in (some with ‘brick and mortar’), such as bed bases (positioned for optimum views), dining room table with solid wooden top, wall display ‘units’, occasional tables, bathroom vanities, pantry shelving, wall units in the two offices etc. Hence this home will be sold with priceless artworks and partially furnished. The fitted fireplace with glass door in the lounge, imported from Belgium, is top quality and super-efficient (Franco Beige Etna 10).
- Steps leading to the different levels are so easy to climb one does not even notice them, and every stairway has window panes which provide maximum light throughout this architecturally designed, chic, yet practical dwelling.
- Most windows/glass doors are fitted with superior quality blinds or stackable shutters.
- The entire house is covered for high speed broadband internet access and the DSTV satellite dish will stay.
- Municipal Rates: Approximately R2 334 per month with an annual rebate of around R10 000 (business rates).
- REASON FOR SELLING: More travel and hence a smaller abode beckons.
- Don’t delay viewing this truly remarkable property which offers rand-for-rand value. It cannot be replaced for the asking price (building costs and plot). However, the owners will take away a wealth of memories of the years they lived in and loved this home - since they built it in 2003.
- De Kelders is 160km from Cape Town, 40km from Hermanus and 3km from Gansbaai.